I’m Marrying a US Citizen: How Do I Get a Visa?

If you are marrying a US citizen, then your spouse must petition to bring you to the United States on an IR-1 visa. The spouse (who must be a U.S. citizen) can file a petition to the USCIS. The IR-1 visa is for immediate relatives seeking to establish permanent residency in the United States. Under the IR-1 visa, you can stay in the United States with your spouse while establishing permanent residency.

Some couples choose to get a fiancé or fiancée visa while their spousal visa is being processed and before the marriage takes place

Was this article helpful to you?